members‎ > ‎

Society of Architectural Historians

The Society of Architectural Historians is a not-for-profit membership organization and learned society that promotes the study and preservation of the built environment worldwide. In 2000 the Society of Architectural Historians (SAH) celebrated sixty years of service to the field of architectural history and its related disciplines. The Society's membership of approximately 2,500 individuals includes professors of architectural and art history, architects and other design professionals, preservationists, museum curators, students, and many others who share a passionate interest in the subject. Institutional members, numbering more than 900, include other learned societies, university libraries, art and historical museums, and preservation organizations around the world.

SAH had its beginnings during the summer session at Harvard University in 1940, when a number of professors and students in the field of history met for informal, extracurricular talks, discussions, and study trips. The enthusiasm that these activities generated led to the formal organization of the Society in late 1940. Initially, the Society was known as the American Society of Architectural Historians. From its inception, four key goals informed the Society's mission: (1) to provide multiple forums for presenting, interpreting, and debating architectural history; (2) to foster an appreciation and understanding of the built environment throughout history; (3) to encourage and disseminate research in the field of architectural history; and (4) to promote the preservation of significant monuments worldwide.

To achieve that mission, the members of the Society continued to meet annually to deliver scholarly research papers, to participate in study tours of the region, and to manage the usual governance matters required of a professional society. In 1941 the first issue of the Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians was published. Realizing that the interests of the members were diverse and international in scope, in 1947 the Board of Directors of the Society voted to drop the word "American" from its name and to approve steps toward incorporation in the state of Connecticut. Within just a few years of incorporation and renaming, the Society established many of the publications, programs, and activities that remain at the center of the organization's work today.
CONTACT INFORMATION

Pauline Saliga
psaliga@sah.org
phone: 312.362.6664
INSTITUTION INFORMATION

Institution: http://www.ash.org

Institution Category: Other
Production LMS: Blackboard Learning System Enterprise License
Current Version: 6.3
Additional LMS Products: None
Other LMS's Deployed: None
ASP Hosted: No